I’ve been crafty lately!! YAY!!
My frand and roomie, Fer, had to go back to Malaysia last week :[ So, we (the other roomies and I) did nice things for him before his departure. I decided to dedicate my new Munny to his likeness. ^__^ I had a few days to do it—a few hours every night after work and board games/bonding time with my buddies. Making something for the first time for someone else was slightly stressful, but fun and very rewarding!!
I thought it’d be fun to document this little project.
MUNNY PARTY IN THE HAUS!!
This is him, for reference:
Also, I creeped around him. Others in the house are decorating Munnys, too, so I didn’t look so obvious.
First, I made some sketches.
I sandpapered my naked Munny’s entire body, save the joints. This created a fine texture to paint and mold upon.
Easy stuff. Then, I acquired some Super Sculpey to start molding the hair.
You see, his hair is VERY important to him, so I had to get it just right. Funny enough, I pretty much created this most of this Munny right in front of him, but he was so focused on the games we were playing/packing to notice.
Night 2, part one of the modeling:
Looked kinda like my dad hehe.
For anyone noticing the ‘Cards Against Humanity’ box in the background: Get it. It’s fun.
I continued on le hair. We had a few good tools, so I made some nice strips of hair to layer upon his “base hair.”
The roomies approved, so that really helped. Fer even pointed out that if he had a munny, he’d want hair like that. (Lol nerd.)
As a cover-up, I told him that I was making a Munny of Yesung from Super Junior.
The picture’s a little blurry. Blah.
I gave him a tentative part so I’d focus on where to “aim the hair.”
Don’t mind the stains on the Sculpey. I used a dyed contained to flatten some of the pieces. It doesn’t affect anything.
Continued on the hair. If I didn’t have work everyday, I probably would have gotten this all done much quicker. However, it was therapeutic before going to bed.
Pokey’s in the back giving a shout out to his clay homies.
Finished the hair and FIRING TIME. :D He went into the oven with some do-dads for my friend Keith’s Naruto Munny.
There he is!! All toasted up! :D
Keith baked Little Fer’s head for about 10 minutes 275 degrees F, I believe.
I was a worried mother the entire time.
I also sketched on the wee body. I used Prismacolor Col-Erase Blue Pencil. It’s not super special, but it drew on better than my regular mechanical.
Little booty. :3
DUN DUN DUNNNNNN I woke up to see a munny with a few broken hairs!! (Maybe the ghosts got to him??) He was nice and snug on my pajama shorts. Sigh.
Like a champ, Jerika took a nail file and sandpaper to him. :D
All better!! His hair is mad delicate. This won’t be the only time he breaks…
The day before, during my lunch break, I took a trip to SVA’s fine arts shop to get some paint. I also bought new paint brushes, palette knives, and a bottle of retarder (amazing stuff, really) and some little plastic containers to hold spare paint. My roommates also had paint, so I had plenty to mix around to make the perfect tones. I used Golden, Liquitex Hard Body, and Liquitex Soft Body brand acrylic paints. I was able to mix paint on Diem’s spare palette paper. It’s much better than those circular plastic ones.
Pink is truly the perfect color for his shirt.
I taped the joints so the paint won’t affect the reassembling process.
Work station! Not the most tidy. Whatevs.
After a whirlwind of painting, blow drying, and fixing broken hair, we finished him around 2am in the morning. This was Fer’s last night with us.
Reconnecting the limbs is terrifying. Just sayin’.
He loved it!! :D Fer saw him and picked him up like a long-lost son.
I was exhausted, but very pleased.
Instagrammed!!! I’m ohayitsdee, if y’all are interested :D
Brian and Keith also made Bb Fer and American flag.
Hey y’all: DON’T do paint-on-paint contact like I did here with the hand and the flag pole. Acrylic paint with rub off instantly lol. Easy fix; I’ve plently of extra paint :D
Can’t wait to do another!! ^__^